Sunday, June 10, 2007

Garaj Baras : गरज बरस



धा धा धा,
धू धू ,
पेड़ों को छू-छू ,
खिसियानी बिल्ली सी,
घूमते फिरे लू ।

I remember papa reciting these lines for me from an unknown poet, when I was merely three feet high, trying to squeeze myself in the comfort of his arm, saving myself from the warm summer wind 'loo'. These winds always seemed to me the warm breath coming out of nostrils of god, furious at us, the sinful human beings. The fury, the heat, the summer.

We, the mortals, have already survived through the scorching months of April & May, yet trying our best to live through June. Its the time for Monsoon to knock our doors, with thundering & showering black clouds. Its time for Antonio Vivaldi's summer euphony to end.

I've always been in love with the rainy season. For me, at this time, Isis ( Egyptian mother goddess) dances all around, showering rain, & providing a new liveliness to near-dying earth.

I join reknowned urdu poet Nida Fazli, of what he prays for the arrival of raining clouds, & making this planet once again vibrant.

गरज बरस प्यासी धरती पर,
फिर पानी दे मौला।

Funnily enough, I came back yesterday from a week long trip to two metros, Chennai & Mumbai, & it started raining at both places as soon as I left ( thats what I have been told on the phone). Now, is it a jest played on me by mother nature ?
I hope to see the rains soon. Just looked out of my window this morning & saw dense black clouds hovering over the sky. Yippee !

No comments: