Friday, April 06, 2007

My Most Preferred Art works

I present here my most preferred art works, wherein I feel the need of making it clear that they are not in order of preference.

1) Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh




Starry night has always let me unveil the door of the world that is forbidden. It's the world of our inner self. Although, it's creator Vincent Van Gogh wasn't satisfied after it was completed. He thought that some thing else was to be done in this work which he couldn't able to. This, he confessed to his brother Theo in a letter.

This unusual work portrays a village & graveyard in the background while the tree in the front is uncommonly taller.
In my opinion the tree resembles human hand which is trying hard to touch the sky which is resembling infinity. For me, desires aren't infinite but there is always a desire of infinite. This desire is present in all of us in some or other form, some of us aware of this while some aren't. There has been from ages in humans a want to take a quantum leap from the world that we all see to the world that exist beyond this. Buddha's Nibbana was nothing other this quantum leap. The Vedic verses of "Mrityorma Amritam Gamay" (Take me from death to deathlessness) has been the desire of every human since the evolution of our breed.
It's expression has been one of the most difficult one since it goes beyond the words. Art in some extent has the strength to express.
For me, Vincent Van Gogh's Starry Night has been the sutra of vedic verses.


2) Rembrandt's Philosopher In Meditation




What's human mind ? Rembrandt's Philosopher In Meditation answers it visually.
Philosophy & meditation, in my opinion cannot co-exist. Mediation starts where the philosophy ends. It's just like the difference between word & wordless.

I am in love with this work since it suggests to me the shape of human mind. In it a philosopher is sitting in a dark room with light coming only from window & stairs beside him go in puzzling way to up somewhere. This in perfect sense we are. Our mind functions in a puzzling way while we try to meditate on some affair ( though mediation only occurs when there is no affair). The stairs resembles the unending thought process of ours leading us to no where.

Rest is all dark.



3)Picasso's Guernica





Wow ! The one who believes in melancholy that ugly cant be beautiful must see this work of Picasso. Guernica is the painting by Picasso after the brutal bombing of the town of Guernica on April 26th 1937 during the Spanish civil war by Hitler's Luftwaffe killing almost 2000 people.

Following the theme it shows the brutality & violence portraying the after math of . The crushed skull & a soldier on the ground along with a horse injured by spear & a bull in panic shows us that when the sky is falling no one is spared.
Interestingly, Picasso also painted a flower growing out of the dead soldier's severed hands shattered by sword. In my opinion, he just wanted to tell us that the hands that can create, can also destroy.

What more attrocities can we do on our fellow human beings.
The dark back ground shows the silence after the destruction with a light bulb on the head of the horse depicting the hope of re-creation.
A woman, dumb-struck seeing blankly over the whole mess with astonishment depicting the mother nature of what we have done to ourselves.

Funnily, Picasso never expressed any views on this work & left it merely on every individual viewer.


4) Michelangelo's Pieta





Michelangelo's Pieta is one of those fews which unveiled the thick cover of egotism glued on my eyes & let out the saline water. I saw it placed beyond a glass cover in Vatican but at once I found it communicating with me.
Done on the tender age of 24 by Michelangelo, this work being the only on which he scribbled his name.

The statue shows Mary Holding Jesus right after his crucification, focusing right on the emotions of Mary. Her Motherly charm is vanishing with the holding of her son's dead body who has been punished for saying truth.

Mary is the mother. It reminds me of my own, while I trust that anyone seeing it would naturally be emphatic.




5) Tushar Waghela's Golden Buddha






Golden Buddha done by Tushar, an artist from Bhilai & more importantly a very good friend of mine, forced me to drive myself from the state of loquaciousness to taciturnity. I couldn't utter a word when I saw it for the first time while he was questioning me like Sherlock Holmes about how I felt for this work.

He painted Buddha in the color golden which has been for me the color of celebration. Buddha celebrating ? Thats what the tough job was. Buddha is considered to sitting meditatively under a tree but with the color golden Buddha seems to be breaking his image & dancing like Alexis Zorba. In the back ground he has painted various figure some of which human which in my opinion is nothing other than his depiction of human mind, while the Buddha super ceding the figures depicting the supervision of Buddha on his mind & transforming from Siddhartha Gautam to Gautam the Buddha.

Still the calmness on his face, for me, is very meditative. It's a communication that occurred between him & Mahakashaypa some twenty five centuries ago.

A work that snatched words from my tongue.



These are my five most preferred works ( not in order of preference). The views that I expressed on these works are entirely my own & can be objected by any one else. The reader has full liberty to disagree.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very well written post

Anonymous said...

A very well written post